About 30 young people gathered together on 30 May 2014 at ICIMOD Knowledge Park, Godavari for a consultation workshop on “Post2015 and Sustainable Development: A Mountain Perspective”. During which the young people discussed on different thematic sectors guided by different resource persons. The workshop was specially focused to share Knowledge, capacity building and youth engagement in decision and policy making processes. The outcome of the workshop will contribute to the Thematic Clusters and towards formulation of SDGs and also prioritize the issues from Mountain Regions and strengthen the voice of mountain people at global level. It also urged for the partnership with related Government bodies on SDGs processes. Organized by BYND2015 Nepal Hub with the support from ICIMOD, the workshop took place in three phases.
- Knowledge Sharing Session: During this session, Er. Mahendra B. Gurung (Former Joint Secretary, Ministry of Irrigation) highlighted on the importance of Youth Engagement in Decision and Policy Making Processes. Sharing some examples of ongoing projects in Mountain region, Dr. Bhaskar Karky (ICIMOD) imparted his experiences and knowledge on challenges and opportunities for young people to promote sustainable development in Mountain region. Mr. Ankit Adhikari (Sub-Editor in the Himalayan Times), one of the young journalist emphasized on the gaps between the media and related stakeholders on development processes. In addition to that he also shared some of the news writing techniques among the youth participants which specially focused on the bridging the gaps. Ms. Kabita Gautam (BYND2015 Nepal Hub), who has been actively involved in Sustainable Development Processes since 2010, shared some of her experiences and engagement in such processes reflecting on the major issues that is being discussed at regional and global level. She also urged the young people not to be left behind and get involved in SDGs processes to strengthen the youth voice and increase the youth participation in Post 2015 Framework.
- Skype Session: During this session two presentations was done online via Skype. Mr. David Collste (Global Focal Point, UNEP 10YFP on SCP) briefed on the initiative of 10YFP on Sustainable Consumption and Production and the Major Group for Children and Youth Platforms. Similarly, highlighting on the negotiation processes on Climate Change, Ms. Juliette Decq (CliMates, France) talked about the youth engagement processes on climate negotiation and the initiative of COPinMyCity Campaign.
- World Café: During the world café the participants were divided into six thematic groups and the group discussion was carried in a world café modality during which the participants came up with the key issues in transforming the following sectors in sustainability and listed out their potential solutions for transformation.
- Water and Sanitation
- Employment and decent work for all
- Sustainable production and consumption
- Youth, Education and Culture